Beef Olives or Bragoli
Maltese beef olives or bragoli is one of my favourite traditional Maltese recipes.
This recipe is one of Mum's which was handed down by her mother and it generally always turns out just like she used to make it.
This will serve 4 people (2 bragoli each).
- 8 thinly sliced pieces of beef the size of your palm
- 8 slices lean bacon
- 2 hard boiled eggs quartered
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 2 large potatoes quartered
- 1 beef stock cube
- 150 g tomato paste
- Good handful parsley finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- toothpicks to fasten
- Optional - a little red wine and 1 can of peas
- place the first slice of beef on a chopping board and place a piece of bacon on top
- add a quarter of a hard boiled egg over the bacon and sprinkle with parsley
- roll up into a tight roll and place toothpicks in the middle and at both ends to seal and hold everything in place
Repeat the above process to prepare the rest of the bragoli.
Heat a small amount of oil in a large pot and brown bragoli, then remove from pot.
Add chopped onions and garlic and saute until soft.
Add tomato paste with a little water and stir until combined.
Add bragoli to the pot and just cover with boiling water.
Add potatoes, stock cube, remaining parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
Simmer for 1 hour.
The sauce is traditionally served over spaghetti as a starter and the beef olives and potatoes are served as the main meal.
From Maltese Beef Olives to Maltese Cuisine
To Malta Holidays And Property Home Page